Stencil and water sealer on PT wood

Old 04-04-20, 05:54 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stencil and water sealer on PT wood

I just build a few adirondack chairs out of pressure treated lumber and now I would like to apply a stencil of our family monogram to the backrest of the chairs as well as a wood sealer/preservative. Could you tell me what kind of products and in what order I should apply the finishes and the painted stencil?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-20, 05:58 AM
Received 241 Votes on 228 Posts
The problem with PT is that it doesn't accept paint due to the process of injecting the chemical into the wood, it's just got too much moisture in there,

Possibly if you wait a year for the moisture to dry out but I doubt it's going to hold up very well.

Old 04-04-20, 06:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
I would not recommend using Thompson's WaterSeal as it has a short life. As noted above the wood needs to dry out from the PT process first before any coating application will be successful. Will these chairs be on a covered porch or exposed to the elements?

Old 04-04-20, 06:43 AM
E
Got it. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-04-20, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 441 Votes on 403 Posts
Building them out of red cedar might have been a better choice if you wanted to stencil them and apply a water sealing product (other than TWC).

TWC works great if you can afford to apply it once a month.

Old 04-04-20, 09:00 AM
Received 36 Votes on 30 Posts
You could rout out a section to insert a piece of cedar or other appropriate surface with the monogram on it. If the monogram is not too fancy you could just rout it into the PT directly.

Old 04-04-20, 05:00 PM
E
These chairs will be exposed to the elements sitting along the edge of our pond. I've already assembled them using PT lumber, so I don't really have a choice of changing materials.

Old 04-05-20, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd probably use a toner [translucent] deck stain. Since it will have a small amount of color you'd want to apply the stencil over top of the stain. How long the stain and stencil will hold up depends a lot on how much and what type of weather they see. Could be as short as a couple of years or maybe 5yrs or so.

Skipping the deck stain and applying spar varnish over the wood and stencil will protect it better but once the spar poly starts to deteriorate [if you don't recoat soon enough] you pretty much have to sand it down and start over. Depending on the amount of sunlight and rain spar poly might need to be recoated every year.

Old 04-05-20, 05:04 AM
E
MarkSr, The chairs have been sitting in my garage with heaters running for a few weeks; the wood looks and "feels" dry. If I apply the stencil to the bare wood and then apply the spar poly (I've got a gallon of Gloss Helmsman Spar Urethane on hand), what type of paint would I use for the stencil? Once the stencil is dry, I just don't want the spar urethane to break-down the stencil paint and make it run. I was planning on spray-painting the stencil. I don't mind applying spar urethane every year or so; it's not a hard job; I've been putting it on boat decks and trim for years.
Thanks for your advice and expertise.

Old 04-05-20, 06:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO it's best to apply 1 coat of poly first. Sand when dry and then apply the stencil. You'd apply 1-2 coats of poly over it all once the stencil is dry. There shouldn't be an issue with the stencil paint running once it has cured. If you are worried about brushing over it you could get a rattle can of poly to spray over the stencil. I'm not sure if you can get spar poly in a spray can but no more than you'd use it probably won't matter.

Old 04-05-20, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 441 Votes on 403 Posts
Yes, Helmsman Spar also comes in a spray can.

Old 04-05-20, 07:28 AM
E
Thanks. I'll give it a try.