How to remove a spot that remains after stripping

Old 04-15-20, 09:36 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to remove a spot that remains after stripping

I have a small antique business and often must refinish vintage furniture. I am self taught and have gotten pretty good over the years repairing small veneer chips and removing scratches and fading from vintage furniture.

My current problem is a rosewood desk that has an unknown spot I have not been able to remove.

Heres the sequence of work so far:
Applied Besway Industrial Paint Remover & Solvent to strip piece three separate times.
Scrubbed with brown Scotch Brite pad and mineral spirits after all three stripper applications.
Sanded after each mineral spirits application to remove raised grain and light scratches.

This spot persists.

Next I tried:
Spot treating the area with Oxalic Acid and light sanding in between three separate Oxalic applications. (I've had good luck with Oxalic Acid on dark areas in teak but so far it hasn't had much affect. I may just need to do more applications.)
Spot treating the area with Kleen Strip stripper.
Then once more applied Besway Industrial Paint Remover & Solvent over the entire top of the desk and scrubbed with brown Scotch Brite pad and mineral spirits.

The spot is still there.

Im about out of both Besway and Kleen strippers and need to buy more. Does anyone know of a different brand of stripper I should try? Or another type of treatment? Any help would be appreciated.
The first photo shows the spot after all of the above
The second photo shows the spot when wet with mineral spirits

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Attached Images   
Old 04-15-20, 09:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 854 Upvotes on 748 Posts
If it's solid wood I'd sand thru it. If it's a veneer you may have to live with it - maybe use a dark stain to disguise it.

Old 04-15-20, 09:53 AM
T
I wish it were solid but it's rosewood veneer. I've already sanded between stripper applications and oxalic acid and feel I can't sand any more without risk of going too far.

Old 04-15-20, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
I'd keep after it with oxalic acid. Maybe apply a little heat (iron set on low) on a wet rag with oxalic acid. If it's a burn from a pan you won't be getting it out without more sanding, but be careful, you might sand through the veneer.

Stripper wont remove a stain if it's been scorched.

Old 04-20-20, 08:05 AM
T
Thanks for your reply! Yes, that's what I've decided to do. I've been putting Oxalic Acid on just the area of darkness one or two times a day, letting it dry and doing it again. It does seem to be lightening some each time. Fingers crossed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: