A noob ? about wood finish care: why isn't treated like plastic?

Old 05-14-20, 09:04 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A noob ? about wood finish care: why isn't treated like plastic?

I've done some simple wood projects and then coat it in polyurethane finish. I guess there's other finishes that don't fit in to this question (which brings up another question #2 below).

1) Polyurethanes are basically plastic? And non-porous after a couple coats? At that point, can you just use windex / fantastic like you would on a plastic / formica? / metal surface? What's the 'furniture polish' type of care item help when you are dealing with a plastic surface?

and the 2nd question I realized as I typed this.

2) Is there a distinction between porous and non porous finishes? Those that actually let the cleaning / care product get into the wood? vs. 'yeah, 'it's wrapped in plastic now... go ahead and use windex'?

Thanks!

Old 05-14-20, 10:06 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Yes, any type of finish that has gloss essentially has a sealed surface weather it is urethane, varnish, or even latex paint. So they are more "cleanable". Then you move down to finishes like flat paints, low gloss, more pours, and much less cleanable.

The polishes just contain wax which coats the surface and gives it a little more shine!

babaganoosh voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: