Staining: where did I go wrong ?

Old 07-19-20, 05:46 PM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Staining: where did I go wrong ?

a few weeks ago i took out a slat from my medicine cabinet and bought minwax poly and just grabbed a small foam brush i had laying around to do a test to see if i liked the color. i did

forward to today and i had no foam so just used a brush of unknown but likely cheap quality. i know the brush strokes being bad is just me, but why in the world did it get so much darker. i did use deglosser on both.

if the foam is the reason i like the small slat better than ill load up on foam brushes. i guess go buy some stripper and just strip the cabinet of what i did and try again with foam

guidance needed. thanks

Old 07-19-20, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
My opinion...... that looks like veneer type wood. If it isn't it's not porous enough to take a stain.
It looks like the stain is just sitting on the surface.

Old 07-20-20, 02:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 863 Upvotes on 755 Posts
Were you using Polyshades? Tinted polys can be difficult to apply, it must be applied evenly! Personally I don't like foam brushes. With tinted poly I'll either use a natural bristle brush or spray it on. You can't over work coatings like Polyshades.

Old 07-20-20, 03:11 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Was it thoroughly stirred?

Old 07-20-20, 06:52 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
yes using poly

now that i think about it, the slat in the cabinet is probably different than the outside of the drawers and cabinet.

assuming its the veneer wood mentioned above, what stain will work and how do you prep?

yes i stirred till well. is a tiny can so very ez to tell when solid is mixed up from the bottom.

ive also since learned theres minwax spray. def gonna give that a try. nothign to lose but some stripping time if it goes wrong lol. ill keep my testing to the drawers from now on though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: