Plastic trim on bathroom cabinet melted. Remedies?

Old 08-09-20, 02:14 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Plastic trim on bathroom cabinet melted. Remedies?

I must have been storing some cleanser/acetone in my bathroom cabinet that leaked. It seeped out of the cabinet and onto the front plasticky trim and essentially dissolved it right off! I trimmed off most of the destroyed portion and I'm left with this. You can still see the type of damage from the solvent on the edges, as the plastic is warped and the adhesive is melted off.

What's the best way to repair this?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-20, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
Iron on laminate edging can be purchased. You would want to take the doors off and do the full piece from end to end.

Waylo voted this post useful.
Old 08-09-20, 02:44 PM
W
I see. Here's a wider view of the cabinet. I believe you're right, the rest of the laminate strip on the bottom goes from door to door. So it should be removed in total, and the whole strip re-applied?

Old 08-09-20, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, that's correct...............

Old 08-09-20, 02:55 PM
W
Excellent. Does this look like the right material? Matching colors will get interesting I bet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EDGEMATE...3053/314095450

Old 08-09-20, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, that's it.................

Old 08-10-20, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 70 Votes on 63 Posts
Here is a whole page of choices, colors will be a challenge.
https://www.google.com/search?client...q=edge+banding

Old 08-10-20, 05:01 AM
M
Received 155 Votes on 142 Posts
Readily available colours are white and ivory/almond.
Also a wood grain/maple which is close to the colour of the cabinet sides and floor.

Yours looks like almond to me.
Take a piece of it with you when you go to buy it.
It is behind the doors so I would not be too concerned about getting a perfect match.

Old 08-17-20, 11:39 PM
W
Passable result! Sort of.

The Edgemate product I purchased from Home Depot looked a little too white initially, but when I put it side by side with the old laminate it was a near perfect match in color.

I took off the cabinet doors, pulled off all the old laminate, sanded the exposed plywood, and lined up a length of the new stuff. I taped it at the edges to keep it in place. I had read that the melted adhesive may stick on the iron, or the laminate may scorch, so I tried using an old t-shirt in between the iron and the plastic. This only made things clumsy, as neither the heat nor pressure from the iron were optimal. I finally placed the iron directly on the laminate and this helped with heat transfer and pressure, but indeed, yes, adhesive got stuck onto the iron surface

During all this fussiness, the laminate strip sagged just a tad unfortunately in the center + right of center, so the top of the strip in this section is maybe 1/16" or less lower than ideal, exposing just a bit of the plywood. I don't have a trimming tool that fits over the edge, so the tape is still 1 or 2/16" wider than the board, but all of that is directed to the underside. At least nothing will catch if you drag bottles or other items out of the cabinet.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 08-17-20, 11:44 PM
Group Moderator
You generally want to center it on the edge of the laminate and then trim both sides flush. (You can use a knife, sharp chisel, planer blade) You can always give it another try. Put aluminum foil over the iron next time.

Old 08-18-20, 12:07 AM
W
Great tip with the aluminum foil!

I was afraid not having a 'real' trim tool to slide over the edge of the board would make the trim look ragged, but the material seems to cut fairly straight.