Help - Need to repair desk top finish damage

Old 08-31-20, 10:35 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help - Need to repair desk top finish damage

My desk top looks like something moist was sit on top of the desk. See attached photo. The finish ( not the wood/veneer) is raised in this area and I can scratch the finish off with my finger nail. Please advise as to how to repair it. How can I tell what kind of finish is on it.

Desk top showing damage to finish
Old 08-31-20, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 28,142
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
If you Google "how to tell finish on furniture" you will find many sites that tell you how to identify the finish. Here is the first I found. It walks you through some simple tests you can do to determine whether it's an oil, shellac or polyurethane.
Old 08-31-20, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 19,184
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
I'd say it looks like the piece needs to be refinished but check Dane's list first as it might be repairable, depending on what finish it is.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: