Need advice in restoring this oak desk

Old 08-31-20, 11:22 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice in restoring this oak desk

Hi. I have this old oak (I think it's oak) desk that my family wants to throw out but I see a gem under the coffee-stained and damaged top. Besides, it's old. I know I can repair it, I am just not sure how to.

If you look at the picture you can see that there are gouges in the top layer of wood. They are significant enough that I think that top layer has to come off. I'm guessing that an orbital sander with sandpaper would do the trick, and then I'm guessing the next step would be to glue a top veneer and finish that to match the color, then seal with a urethane variant.

However, I wanted to run this by some more experienced workers and see what they thought of this plan. The thing about using the orbital buffer is that it may not leave the top 100% evenly flat, and then the veneer will reflect that. Thoughts?

Old 08-31-20, 11:30 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is a veneer desk, a cheap substrate covered with a very thin layer of wood (oak).

The areas where the veneer are peeling can be repaired but it will look patchy and end result will not look very good.

Personally I would not waste my time!

Old 08-31-20, 11:36 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you Marq1, I guess my wife and kids were right--'get rid of that piece of junk'. If it doesn't have much value, no use throwing good money (and time) after bad. We'll ditch it. Thanks for your evaluation.

Old 08-31-20, 12:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
If you want to keep it you could overlay the top with new plywood and install edging along the sides. All depends on how much the piece means to you.

Old 08-31-20, 12:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
I'd toss it but you could removing the veneer and put a new layer on in its place. I wouldn't.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: