Refinishing a Wooden Door

Old 09-19-20, 10:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinishing a Wooden Door

I have a solid wooden door that has become very sun damaged. I would like to refinish it myself. I am seeking info from at least three sources.(DYI and YouTube). Can someone give me a quick list of everything that I will need and the procedure they would use?

Old 09-19-20, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
A lot depends on the condition of the door - can you post a pic or two?
If it's not real bad you can sand it down and apply fresh spar poly. If it's really bad you'd need to strip off the existing finish and sand .... hopefully so the wood all looks the same. You'd then stain [or not] and finish like you would a new door.

Old 09-19-20, 01:21 PM
Old 09-19-20, 01:31 PM
@Marksr Did you see the door?

Old 09-20-20, 03:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Nice looking door!
All that detail will make it difficult to sand. I'd sand it the best I could and then wipe it down with mineral spirits. While it's still wet with thinner - that's about how it will look with a fresh coat of spar poly. Wood doors that see a lot of sun/weather often need to have a a light sanding and fresh coat of poly every yr or two.

Old 09-24-20, 01:35 PM
What Color Varnish is This?

What color varnish should I use to get the front of this door looking more like the back? @marksr Please look at picture.

What color is this varnish?

Old 09-24-20, 06:19 PM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
looks to me maybe you have a mahogany door with clear spar varnish, it will darken over time

Old 09-25-20, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Clear oil base spar varnish/poly should be fine. After you've sanded the door wipe it with paint thinner. While it's still wet with thinner - that's about how it will look after the poly is applied. That way you'll know if you need to do more prep work or not.

It's possible a very light stain was used although aged oil base varnish or poly will amber as it ages.

Old 09-25-20, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
I doubt you will ever get it to look like the inside does. The exterior has likely been stained and it has also been weathered and beaten by the sun. So even if you put a clear finish on it, it will be darker than the interior side that has not been weathered. As Mark said, wet it with paint thinner, and that is the color it would appear after you varnish or poly it. You can easily sand the flat areas, but the detail work is the problem. If you sand the flat areas and don't sand the detail areas, you will have a contrast in color when you wet it with paint thinner.

About the only way to "sand" all the detail areas would be to use a fine detail sand blaster.

Old 09-25-20, 07:19 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
fine detail sand blaster.
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture.

My sandblasting is for metal but they have lots of media, plastic, glass, walnuts, need to do some research.

If the detail area is not addressed the finish will look different!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: