Update bookcase suggestions

Old 10-23-20, 10:28 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Update bookcase suggestions

I have two of these oak bookcases Id like to update. I want to get rid of the rounded edges framing it and maybe do something with the doors. Looking for ideas and help on the best way to do it.

Old 10-23-20, 12:38 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
That looks like RTA so I assume it is particle board and not solid wood. That means you aren't going to be be reshaping anything you currently have. I would suggest if you want a different profile, start with 1x2 lengths and replace the face frame stick by stick. The same for the shelf with the tall front face. you wont match the finish on the current cabinet because it is not a real wood finish. It is a paper finish over particle board. Not much you can do with this. I have seen people take the doors off or put multiple cabinet together to create a different look as well.

- Peter

Old 10-23-20, 01:11 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
These were not bought RTA. I took a closer look and parts of it are plywood and it looks like the trim and doors are solid wood, no paper. I can now see where the nail holes were patched so it should make it easier for me to remove the trim. I think glue was also used. Is that going to cause damage?

Old 10-23-20, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,963 Upvotes on 1,760 Posts
We have no way of knowing how it was put together... We can possibly know if it was glued. If it was, yes it would likely damage the plywood if you took it apart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: