Teak oil dries unevenly - dry splotches

Old 11-27-20, 06:21 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Teak oil dries unevenly - dry splotches

I have a piece of new-to-me teak furniture that appeared as though it had only been oiled in the past, not varnished. I lightly sanded it and applied a fresh coat of Circa 1850 Tung 'n Teak Oil.

I've continued reapplying several times now because every time I do, it dries with most of it having a nice glossy finish, but with some dry splotches.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Old 11-28-20, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
I don't think I've ever used teak oil but have used some of the others. I'd try wiping it down with mineral spirits and see how it looks.

Old 11-28-20, 10:14 AM
A
Thanks Marksr! I did try some mineral spirits, with no effect

Old 11-28-20, 10:54 AM
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
This may help:

Teak finish

Old 11-28-20, 01:08 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
I have only used tung oil a couple of times but the results came out really nice.

If there was another finish, if something was sanded and re-stained, that definitely would effect the coverage and could be a cause to the finish you are seeing!

Trouble now, it's got oil on it so may need to sand down and start over!

Old 11-28-20, 03:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
I suspect the dry splotches are areas where the oil is soaking in and needs more oil. Teak can be very thirsty and can sometimes suck in a lot of oil. For a first coat I put the oil on thick and then I check on it every 5 or 10 minutes and rub to distribute the oil onto dried out spots or I add more oil. Then after 30-45 minutes I use rags to remove all the oil that hasn't soaked in. I'm pretty aggressive with the rubbing to remove as much oil as possible as I find it helps with a more uniform finish. Then I let the oil dry/harden for a few days to see if another coat will be needed.

Old 11-30-20, 07:34 AM
A
Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll try sanding it down again, and then try a different oil. The oil I used is "tung n' teak", and the instructions say not to let it sit for longer than 10 minutes before wiping off, so maybe I'll see if I can try a different brand and see if it'll have better coverage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: