Improving the finish on an old cabinet

Old 01-01-21, 11:43 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Improving the finish on an old cabinet

I have a cabinet that has been in the family for many years. Per the attached photos, there are discolored areas where it looks like the original finish has worn off or been damaged by exposure to light. This is all surface damage.

My goal is to clean up its appearance, but it isn't necessary for it to look like a complete restoration. I tried using Dark Walnut Restor-A-Finish with 0000 steel wool on some inconspicuous areas, and it basically didn't do anything.

I've read on other Web sites how to determine what the finish is (probably lacquer or shellac?) using various solvents, but haven't done that yet.

Any suggestions about how I can improve the appearance without stripping off the old finish would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-02-21, 01:09 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I have used this product several times to clean up the finish on furnature with very good results.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-RF3016...72511398&psc=1

Old 01-02-21, 08:54 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I didn't fully specify the product I had tried - it was Howard RF6008 Dark Walnut Restor-A-Finish.

I have used Howard products successfully on other items in the past but it didn't do anything this time; it didn't sink into the finish or modify the color at all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: