Building a desk from Old Car doors

Old 01-13-21, 08:43 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building a desk from Old Car doors

Hey All,

Id love to build myself a desk like this but have a few questions , this is the only pic I could not find any plans .

I have a few questions:
Can this be done without welding? Hope so ...
What are they using as the support beam at the bottom/top and where can I get them .
What kind of glass is that / where to acquire ?

thanks so much ya’ll

Old 01-14-21, 12:18 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Appears to bee a couple piece of steel across the floor and under the glass. With out welding, going to be a lot harder since there will need to be some type of brackets on the ends to connect to the doors.

Tempered glass, glass shop!

the_tow_guy voted this post useful.
Old 01-14-21, 05:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Upvotes on 213 Posts
The bracing could probably be made by bolting pieces together, but welded would look cleaner. The sections appear to be bolted to the doors, at least on the bottoms. It's difficult to see where/how the horizontal glass supports are actually attached. Those faux shocks/struts are to prevent it from collapsing sideways. I'm thinking you could get the pieces made at a welding shop/iron works for a reasonable cost. Pretty cool looking.

Old 01-14-21, 05:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
Yes it can be done without welding. You can use bolts to hold it together.

What steel to use is up to you. That's why it's considered art. Small pieces can be bought at home centers but a better bet is to try and buy some from a metal fabrication or welding shop. Be warned that places like that absolutely hate people who come in and waste their time by not knowing what you're doing. You need to be able to say "I want a piece of 2x2 x 1/8 angle 6 feet long". You can also order all sorts of metals online. The price will be higher but the selection is huge.

You will need to use tempered/safety glass for the top. Easiest would be to buy a glass table and throw everything but the glass away. You can also order safety glass from a glass shop. Just make sure you get a thick enough piece as window glass is way too thin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: