Finding bolt like this but slightly longer


Old 01-16-21, 05:51 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: team
Posts: 42
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finding bolt like this but slightly longer

I want to find a bolt like the one attached in this post. It has hex slot, the diameter is 1/4" in the shank. and the length is about 0.9". This is from a chair. I want to find a bolt just like this but with slightly longer shank--maybe 1.25" at most. The problem is this short bolt causes the chair back support to be tilted toward the front. If I can use a slightly longer bolt the back support can be pushed back a little bit. Can I get help finding the name of the product, and if possible, where to find this kind of bolt? I've tried to scour internet with no good result.

Grade-8 bolt, hex slot, 1/4" diameter.
Old 01-16-21, 06:24 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 13,932
Received 289 Votes on 252 Posts
Just about any good local hardware store should have a bolt that will work for you.
Old 01-16-21, 09:55 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,862
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
#1, There's no reason a chair would need a grade 8 bolt.
#2, Any longer bolt with a washer should work.
Old 01-17-21, 05:31 AM
Marq1's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 7,127
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
Take a look on McMaster web site, it it's a product for sale, they have it!
Old 01-17-21, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,673
Received 178 Votes on 159 Posts
A standard hex head bolt with a washer would work to replace that. No need for the integral washer nor hex-drive head. As long as you can tighten it, it's not a big deal.
The 'assemble your own' furniture suppliers like those bolts as it's cheap to include a hex key with the furniture for customer assembly. One of those cheap metal wrenches are harder for most people to use, and it would be"expensive" for them to include a proper assembly tool.

As Marq mentioned, I'm sure you could get a box of 50/100 at McMaster Carr, but your local hardware store will sell you one for about $0.21.
Old 01-18-21, 07:48 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: team
Posts: 42
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks all who reply! I will look at my hardware store & see what I can get there.

Old 01-18-21, 08:07 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 26,824
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
Keep in mind it doesn't likely need to look exactly the same.

They will likely be found in the hardware drawers in the bolt aisle.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: