Broken Bedframe on First Night

Old 03-15-21, 08:41 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Broken Bedframe on First Night

We bought this used frame yesterday (spent a pretty penny in the end) and tonight at bedtime, my husband split the frame. Iím upset. Can I buy a new board and just put that side against the wall? Add metal plates? Anything we can do? The kids are heartbroken and I donít have the budget for another bed!!

Before

Last edited by Crystal Marie; 03-15-21 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-15-21, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
Pretty hard to tell just from the photos how its put together. And hard to tell what went wrong or what he did to break it. Need to figure that out or it will happen again. But usually anything can be fixed.

Old 03-15-21, 09:17 PM
C
XSleeper, Iím going to say the what happened is a 4x sized man tried to get himself out of a childrenís bed... not a happy wife.

Old 03-15-21, 09:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
Easiest thing to do would be to glue it back together with lots of wood glue and about 6 quick clamps. Using the clamps vertically to squeeze it back together. Leave it clamped up for 24 hrs or so to ensure its completely dry.

Then after that is dry, remove the clamps and fasten another board (same size) next to it, like a patch. Poplar would be a good choice. Looks like a 1x6 (if its 5.5" in width). You could fasten them together with screws that are 1 1/4" long.

Old 03-16-21, 10:38 AM
C
Thank you so much for the help and details on sizing!

Old 03-21-21, 07:53 PM
A
Received 285 Upvotes on 260 Posts
If you are careful and you find and save all of the splinters then you may be able to glue it back together so the crack is hardly noticeable. Somehow I would suggest water cleanup glue such as traditional white Elmer's glue so you can wipe off or sponge off the excess before it spoils the surface.

Old 03-22-21, 02:48 PM
S
Even if it's a "kid's" bed, it shouldn't self destruct with an average adult sitting or laying on it. Think about when a parent is reading a story or whatever. Beds aren't breaking left and right.

I'd get with the outfit you bought the bed from.

Old 03-22-21, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 400 Upvotes on 327 Posts
I'd get with the outfit you bought the bed from
Well they said they bought it used. That's usually an "as is" deal, especially if it was from a private party.

Old 03-22-21, 03:42 PM
T
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
average adult sitting or laying on it
I kind think she indicated he might not be average sized.

In order to attach a poplar board to it without it showing it look like you'll need to remove and shorten the cross slats. Pretty easily doable, everything looks to be held by screws. I'd also use construction adhesive between the boards. I doubt 5/8" board on the inside would prohibit a mattress from fitting but you'd have to check to make sure. If everything fits, as Allen indicated probably no one would know there was ever a split. (I would use wood glue however, just wipe the pushout immediately.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: