Need to buy some cheap (or at least reasonably priced) tools.

Old 04-26-21, 08:21 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to buy some cheap (or at least reasonably priced) tools.

I'm needing to buy the following:

Screwdriver set- The best selection I can get for under $30.
Drill bit set - same as above.
T-handle Hex-key set - same as above.

I'm looking online myself, but not a handyman, and no idea what I should be looking for, nor what is a bargain. Note that I'm only interested in buying online and having it delivered to my mail drop, which is like six blocks away. I'm over sixty, and that is what I would call a reasonable distance. I mention this because some online sellers like Harborfreight only sell the bargains at in-store pickup, and there is no way I'm taking a bus to Hayward. If anyone has links to online bargains they would like to share, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Old 04-26-21, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,529 Votes on 1,412 Posts
Try amazon...... just some recommendations. Not sure if you need metric or SAE hex keys.

Craftsman screwdrivers
Dewalt titanium drill bits
T handle hex keys

Old 04-27-21, 02:20 AM
Received 505 Votes on 468 Posts
online sellers like Harborfreight only sell the bargains
I dont think Harbor Freight can ever be considered a bargain, cheap yes, but you get what you pay for.

Craftsman used to be the go to brand for home use, I would hate to think how much I have invested in all my tool chests but since that name was sold a few years ago it has sunk to the level of all other "house" brands.

Old 04-27-21, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I've bought tools from HF for over 40yrs, some of which I still use. Some of their tools are decent although some are better left at the store. Are you sure they don't deliver? Up until about 20 yrs ago all my HF purchases were mail order.

Northern Hydraulics also sells low priced tools, again like HF they sell both decent and junk.

Old 04-27-21, 04:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
I have been really surprised (in a good way) with the quality of the Stanley tools I've gotten at Walmart.

Old 04-28-21, 05:01 AM
T
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
In general:

You get what you pay for, but you might pay for a gold mine and find you get a shaft with it.

Expendables like drill bits are frequently replaced, so you will still need to find a price point for decent bits. Bits that are brittle, not hard enough or not sharpened properly are a waste of money and will frustrate.

Spend a little extra for quality tools (screwdrivers, hex keys, etc). Cheap tools are often low quality and can cause problems like chewed up screw heads, distorted hex sockets, etc.

Buy decent quality tools, take care of them, don't misuse or abuse them and they will last a long time.

Old 04-28-21, 09:02 AM
Received 505 Votes on 468 Posts
Buy decent quality tools, take care of them, don't misuse or abuse them and they will last a long time.
I have said for years, a good tool is an investment, not an expense.

Buy a good tool once, buy a cheap tool multiple times, so which one is the cheaper investment?

Old 05-14-21, 08:12 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well it don't look like there is a way to answer individual replies, so guess its a collective answer.

PJmax: I quite buying from Amazon some years ago, though I still go there to see what is available, then search for it elsewhere. Unfortunately, since I'm not up on exactly what to look for, that would not work just now.

Marq1: If a tool works five or ten years, I would consider that a bargain. At my age, I'm not buying stuff to pass on to the landlord (when I kick the bucket), just for my occasional use....and by occasional I mean seldom.

marksr: From my test buys so far, Harbor Freight bargains/sale items are almost always 'in store' pickup only, while their full price (overpriced?) items are almost always ready to ship. I always aborted the buy once I found out it would not be delivered. As said, I'm not interested in doing two buses and a BART train ride to get to the HF in Hayward.

Pilot Dane: Thanks for the tip. I'll look into Stanley Tools at Walmart. I buy food and various junk all the time, so I can usually get to their free shipping minimum (an extra bargain).

ThisOldMan: Considering my age, and how seldom I use tools, I don't see the need to spend "a little extra for quality tools". Decent tools should not cost that much, but I guess it depends on how you define 'decent'. I don't want China-made crapola that will break the first time it's used, but neither do I want something that will last twenty years...I won't be here in ten years probably.

Marq1: Long term investments are for them with reasonable expectation of being here for the long term...or having relatives to pass it on to. I'm focused more on today, and long term for me is 5 to 10 years....so decent tools at a sale price is more my speed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: