Refinishing dining table top

Old 05-27-21, 02:31 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refinishing dining table top

Hello everyone,

new to the forum. Every few years a little home project comes up.
this time I知 going to refinish a pine (I think) dining table top. I知 just going to sand it, apply a light stain and apply the clear coat.
The question that brings me here. Is to ask if anyone here has use this product. Directly on the wood. The instructions on the can say to first put a thin coat of the liquid version by brush. So what I知 trying to find out is if I could get away skipping that step and just spraying the table 3 or 4 times. would that be enough?
brushes are not my best friends in big surfaces and always end up with marks and streaks.

KBS Coatings 8124 Clear Satin Diamond Finish Aerosol, Covers 35 sq ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XR7LYCG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7E8YT0XDC5RWJ7G391VJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you.

Old 05-28-21, 03:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 424 Votes on 379 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
I've never used that product. It seems kind of pricey, how big is the table top?
Personally I'd use polyurethane. A decent natural bristle brush [for oil base only] along with thinning it slightly [so it flows better] and sanding between coats will minimize/eliminate brush marks. You could brush/sand the first 2 coats and use a rattle can to spray the final coat.

Old 05-28-21, 04:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
The description for that product only talks about applying to metal. Being "rock hard" I don't think it will handle the expansion and contraction of wood very well.

Old 05-28-21, 06:32 AM
I
A friend of mine did some furniture for me like 25 years ago with the liquid version. but he moved out of state. The stuff is awesome on wood. You can place a hot pot or let a soda can sweat on it and it won稚 get a mark or scratch. It stays flexible. But is something that you have to make sure you won稚 want to change later because is almost impossible to remove.
the pic is from the label I hope the writing is not too small.
oh and the table is like 6 feet long.

Old 05-29-21, 03:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If the table is already finished, you probably need to strip it before you're going to get stain to take. Personally, my go-to finish is polyurethane as well.

Old 05-29-21, 03:59 AM
Received 531 Votes on 491 Posts
For furniture the best finishes are water based, I've used General products on many pieces and it's far better than urethanes as far as coverage, finish and durability, and it's specifically made for wood!

https://generalfinishes.com/

And dont worry about brush strokes with this stuff, it completely levels out as it dries!

Old 05-29-21, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The instructions on the can say to first put a thin coat of the liquid version by brush. So what I’m trying to find out is if I could get away skipping that step and just spraying the table 3 or 4 times.
I suspect one of the reasons they spec that is because it's hard to adequately seal the wood with a spray can. The coating in an aerosol can has to be drastically reduced in order to atomize.

Old 05-29-21, 06:54 PM
I
Thank you everyone for your help. So I decided to go with this stuff. And got myself a brush.
That the paint store recommended.
now the question is.. when brushing a dining table with the grain going from side to side.
where do you start the brush stroke and where do you stop? Like do I start from the middle out or from the outside to the middle? Or am I supposed to start and finish one complete trip from side to side and move to the next?
excuse the ignorance but never done anything this big. Specially by brush.
And I知 YouTubing it too. But there is never too much information lol.
This is water based and instructions say to do thick, smooth uniform strokes.

thank you.

Old 05-30-21, 02:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks best if you brush with the direction of the grain. The 1st coat will dry blotchy looking but after sanding with 220 grit, wiping off the dust and recoating it will look a lot nicer. 3 coats is the norm.

Some find it easier to apply the poly with a mini roller and then tipping it off with a brush. Tipping off is taking the tip of the brush and lightly going over the just rolled on coating to get rid of the roller stipple.

Old 05-31-21, 09:20 AM
I
So I got the first coat down and it looks much better than I thought it would. What would be best to polish the last coat?
Going to add 2 more coats sanding between them by hand with 320. but If I have to sand the last coat. what would be best to return the shine to it?

Thanks.

Old 05-31-21, 12:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't sand the final coat but a coat of floor wax should bring back the sheen if you do.

Old 06-02-21, 11:55 AM
I
marksr, I finished the table and didn't need to sand the last coat. but I do have a question about the floor wax. would that be good to use once in a while to keep humidity out? like from sweating glasses.

Thanks

Old 06-02-21, 12:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The finish should be fine as is. Use floor wax or furniture polish as needed to keep it looking nice. Give it a week or so to cure before you use polish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: