"Soft close" drawer hard to open

Old 06-22-21, 10:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Soft close" drawer hard to open

Hello,
I recently built two end tables and installed soft close drawer slides on the main drawer. The problem I'm having is the drawer seems to get stuck when opening.. you have to pull really hard just to open the drawers however it closes fine with no issue. When you first start pulling it feels there is a lot of resistance for 2-3 inches then It "pops" or "clicks" into place and the resistance goes away and the drawer opens easily after that. My wife joked because if you grab just the drawer handle and PULL the whole nightstand almost starts dragging across the wood floor before it opens. It feels like the drawer slide itself is stiff. It feels like when the drawer is trying to pass the "soft close" hardware is when it's stiff. The part that slows down the drawer when closed fast/hard. Once it slides past that point then it opens the rest of the way fine and closes properly too. I don't think the drawer is "not square" or out of line because I believe it would be hard to open the whole way and wouldn't close properly if that was the case? I bought the soft close drawer slides from lowes and they weren't cheap. Does anyone know anything I can do to make the drawer easier to open? Adjust anything on the hardware? Add oil somewhere? Just takes time to break in?
I will try to link or add a video with sound to better understand the issue. (Let me know if you're unable to view video)
Click here for v​​​​ideo - Play with sound!

Old 06-22-21, 12:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
The video is not playing.

Is your drawer slide supposed to have a closing mechanism on both slides? What is the load rating for your slides? Also, you could have a bad slide.

Old 06-22-21, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,963 Upvotes on 1,760 Posts
I would start by taking the drawer out, and see if the individual slides operate smoothly without the drawer. Those types of slides are very finicky, and if the space between the slides varies by more than 1/16", or if the width of the drawer varies at all, that can cause these types of problems.

Old 10-15-21, 02:20 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Solution

I had the same issue, and after some investigation and understanding of how the system works I found that by either remove one spring on each rail or remove the mechanism on one of the rails it was much easier to open. You do though loose the strength in the soft close pull BUT there is so much tension in the springs that it still closes just slower. This is the only solution I have found. I was going to also investigate the lubrication of the cylinder and also understood that with time and wear it would become easier.

dynagirl voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: