Nail polish accident on wood table

Old 12-12-21, 01:39 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nail polish accident on wood table

Hi all! I'm hoping you can help me fix my beloved coffee table.

One of my kids left a cotton pad with nail polish remover on our coffee table and now the area looks slightly "stained" and the varnish (?) Is damaged slightly. I've attached picture too.

I read some articles online as to how I can fix it, but I'm a little nervous because it's my first time and honestly, I just don't want to make it worse. What should I do?

Any help would be immensely appreciated!!! Thank you!

Old 12-12-21, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
Well it's likely eaten through the finish and removed it. You can try lightly rubbing it with a green scotchbrite pad or maybe some #0000 steel wool to clean up the rough edges. But beyond that, as far as restoring the finish, you are looking at putting a new coat of finish over the entire top. You can't refinish just a small spot and expect that repair to be invisible.

Old 12-12-21, 01:46 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is pretty minor, id first try just a dap or stain in the area to see how that looks before I'd venture into staining and refinishing the entire surface. That is really simple but start with the easiest!

Old 12-12-21, 08:41 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you XSleeper and Marq1. I'll try smoothening it and staining it first and if that doesn't work... I'll move on to refinishing the whole thing, but I really hope it doesn't come to that since I've no idea what I'm doing.

Are there any stains you would recommend? I researched it and there a variety of brands, and shades. It most likely doesn't matter I'm guessing?

Thank you again in advance!

Old 12-13-21, 02:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
After smoothing it out I'd wipe it down with mineral spirits and pay attention to how it looks while still wet with thinner. I'm thinking you won't need any stain, just poly. If that is acceptable I'd poly just the affected area then sand the entire top with 220 grit and repoly the entire top.

btw - welcome to the forums Anna!

Old 12-13-21, 02:06 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
As Mark and X both said, this is not going to be a spot repair, assume you're finishing the whole top of the table. As long as no stain is required, it might look ok. If the stain was damaged, this is likely never going to be a seamless repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: