Over the range hood cabinet damaged/warped due to steam

Old 12-29-21, 12:42 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Over the range hood cabinet damaged/warped due to steam

Hi,
my kitchen cabinet base where you hook the range hood is warped due to steam damage picture attached. How I would able to replace the rotten board. Pics attached.

Old 12-29-21, 05:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
Your cabinet appears to be made of particle board so it's not much a surprise that it has sagged. Probably just from the weight of the vent hood and items stored inside and not from moisture. You would need to turn the power off to the vent hood circuit. Remove the vent hood. Then remove the warped bottom board, cut a replacement out of plywood and install.

Old 12-29-21, 05:30 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
Cabinets are typ constructed with groves / rabbited joints with ample amounts of glue so they can be difficult to take apart for repairs.

But in your pictures it looks like the bottom shelf has separated, you can see the brick background and the sides look like they are loose.

Try a little exploration, remove the hood and duct and see what it looks like, if you can get it out without destroying the sides then a replacement plywood bottom shelf could be installed.

Old 12-29-21, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,973 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
in your pictures it looks like the bottom shelf has separated, you can see the brick background and the sides look like they are loose.
Yeah, that makes me worried that the cabinet to the right of this one is overloaded with canned goods or dishes and is about to come off the wall. That would explain why it's ripping the bottom of the range cabinet apart, since they are fastened together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: