Woodworm treatment

Old 04-11-22, 09:35 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Woodworm treatment

Hi I have an antique table and be applied a woodworm treatment on the top part of the table it now has a touch to it feels like some residue even though it's completely dry. I want to stain this table. What do you recommend to get it ready. This table has very intricate legs and can tell it's been waxed. Am I right in thinking nothing with go on top of wax? My plan is to match the legs to the table top it already has a nice worn look to it but would be better darker. Following the stain application any advice as would be first time doing this. Thanks in advance

Old 04-11-22, 11:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,221 Upvotes on 1,982 Posts
"Woodworm treatment" as in insecticide to kill bugs? If so then you are probably seeing and feeling the insecticide residue. Before doing any staining you need to remove all existing sealer/finish (polyurethane, lacquer, shellac, wax, oil...) so the new stain can penetrate the wood.

Old 04-11-22, 02:17 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
You really can't darken stain, you need to strip the stain and any finish on top of it and start over with a darker stain. Stain works by penetrating into the wood and one coat is all that can be done before the wood is effectively sealed from any further stain penetrating it.

Old 04-18-22, 01:59 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes it's just woodworm treatment I just wondered if wiping down with water was enough rather damp cloth

Old 04-18-22, 02:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
I think I'd wipe it down with mineral spirits. Most insecticides have an oily residue, not sure water alone would be enough.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: