Learning furniture restoration

Old 04-25-22, 11:10 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Learning furniture restoration

I'm completely new to this forum and to furniture restoration. I bought some tools and got my first coffee table I started working on. I cleaned it and started sanding the veneer on the bottom. The rest of it is made of wood.

I just wanted to see if sanding the veneer would be possibly on this. Unfortunately, the orbital sander already had an issue. The felt pad broke off the second time I used it. I decided not to buy Black and Decker anymore after another poor product from this company. So if anyone has any recommedions for a sander I'm looking for a new one!

Additionally, I'm not sure how to get at these narrow edges. Should I just hand sand most of this? For the edges, I was just using like a 80g piece of sand paper and just folded it to sand.

Do you think it's worth sanding the veneer or just buying new veneer and putting it over top?

partially sanded veneer

Old 04-25-22, 01:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
Generally you try to limit the amount of sanding you do during refinishing, especially with veneer. It is easy to sand completely through the veneer and it is easy to destroy detail and sharp edges. Stripper is commonly used to remove the sealer & stain while leaving the wood intact and is much better when dealing with details where you can't sand. Sanding is a destructive process because you are removing wood so less is better.

Adding new veneer would best be done if you disassemble the piece so you can properly flatten and prepare that surface. Sanding like you are doing now is making the field (open are in the middle) area lower than the edges which means it won't be flat anymore and can make adhering veneer difficult. In addition, the veneer sheet has to be cut perfectly to fit up to those raised sides otherwise you'll have a gap.

At this point I would consider this a practice piece. Do some reading and practice your technique before attempting more valuable furniture.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 04-25-22, 02:46 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice @Pilot Dane. I guess there are pros out there. I was mostly looking at furniture flipping videos.

This was $20 and has a big chunk out of it. It's in far from great condition so I didn't really mind perhaps messing up a little bit. I know it'll look a lot better when I got it.

Additionally, I saw some advice to get scratches out of the glass top. I tried toothpaste but it didn't really do much. Are there any other methods that may work better?

Old 04-25-22, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
There are no generic ways of removing scratches from glass.
If you are doing this professionally you'll need to look into glass replacement.

Old 04-25-22, 03:14 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I would never use a power tool to sand veneer. If necessary a light hand sanding is best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: