Avoiding Certain Areas When Applying Poly

Old 05-16-22, 08:21 AM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Avoiding Certain Areas When Applying Poly

I am about to start applying poly to the bottom of a new stair handrail. I have a channel routed down the entire handrail where LED lighting will be installed so I'd prefer to not get any poly in there.

Aside from carefully brushing along the edges, is there anything else I can do to better protect the channel? I was thinking of taping off the channel and then removing it 15-20 minutes after the poly was semi-dry...just not 100% certain if that will cause issues. I'm assuming waiting for the poly to fully dry would definitely cause tape removal issues, but I'm open to suggestions here.

Old 05-16-22, 08:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
I would apply poly to every surface of the handrail. This will control moisture in and out of the wood for stability. Poly should not affect your ability to install LED's.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 05-16-22, 08:40 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
Forgive the very crude picture but I assume this is what your referring to for taping? I also agree that Appling inside the groove should not pose any assembly issues but you might create a bad edge where the tape meets the top surface.

cdcd33 voted this post useful.
Old 05-16-22, 09:14 AM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That's actually a perfect visual representation of the handrail!

I'll take all the advice here and just poly the whole thing. Thanks!

Old 05-17-22, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 266 Upvotes on 217 Posts
If the channel is deep enough, tuck lengths of foam backer rod in them. Can't take credit for that one, just read it in latest issue of Woodsmith magazine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: