1/2" plywood

Old 07-23-22, 02:25 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1/2" plywood

Hi all! I'm looking to put in some wood drawers/shelving in the back of my work truck. I'm planning on using 3/4" plywood for all of the support of it and I'd really like to use 1/2" for the drawers just because I have quite a bit on hand already. Does this sound like a good plan or should I just use 3/4"? The issue I'm having is figuring out the best way to join the 1/2". I'm struggling with my K4 Jig and getting the depth and screw size correct. I've tried 3/4" and 1" screws. Would it be OK to just screw into the face with wood glue? Recommendations? Suggestions?

Old 07-23-22, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
Speaking from experience..... drawers aren't really handy.
Shelves with bins are easier to setup and change around.
Need to keep things light.

Old 07-23-22, 04:16 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply PJ. I have a topper and both the driver and passenger side have shelves from the exterior. Most of our equipment is decent sized so there's only going to be a few varying different sizes of drawers (think 14"x12" roughly). Not even going to use drawer slides - other employees have done it and it's worked out well for what we do.

Old 07-23-22, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,980 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
Not handy?

My drawers are the full length of my truck bed, (also have a topper) and are simply flat pieces of 3/4" birch plywood, about 16" wide, with short dividers for my various toolboxes. The front section on all of the drawers is basically just a box about 6" tall to throw all my hand tools into. I made cutouts in the front center of each box to make them look better and be easier to grasp. No drawer slides, it just slides smoothly in and out on the plastic bedliner. Then more plywood on top, so I only lose maybe 8 or 9" of height on the tailgate/topper lid. Still easy to crawl in and out of.

I guess I don't have a photo of the completed drawer with them loaded up, but you get the idea.
Once a year or so I pull them out and wipe the bedliner with paint thinner. Slick as a whistle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: