Best way to clean up butcherblock for undermount sink?

Old 08-02-22, 01:10 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to clean up butcherblock for undermount sink?

Looking for the best way to clean up this butcherblock for an undermount sink. The top of the cutout has a bit of a belly in the center. Is a belt sander my best bet? Any tips in order to keep the cut out the same exact width from end to end?

Old 08-02-22, 02:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,267 Upvotes on 2,019 Posts
"Any tips in order to keep the cut out the same exact width from end to end?"
It's already been cut so that ship has sailed. Now I'd scribe a straight line where you want the edge of the opening and remove what you don't want. If there is a lot you can take off the bulk with a circular or saber saw using a straight edge as a guide. Make sure to make your cut proud of the line so you can sand out the tooth marks. Then you can use a belt or palm sander to take out any tool marks and gradually creep up on the line you want. For dressing the top and bottom edge I'd use a sanding block to put a 1/16" radius on the straight edges. Then hand sand with paper or a sanding foam pad for the corners. Go slow, you can always remove more material later but you can't put any back if you take off too much.

rufunky voted this post useful.
Old 08-09-22, 08:41 AM
R
Going to ask this here as I could not figure out the best sub forum to ask.

I mounted the sink to the counter yesterday afternoon and the GE 100% silicone caulk still has not dried! Directions say 30 min dry to touch. The area I live in has been 65-80 pecent humidity and 85-90 degrees F would this be the reason or is the caulk bad??

Old 08-09-22, 08:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Dry to the touch just means it won't stick to your fingers if you touch it lightly. A thick bead can take a long time to dry.

Do you have clips or some mechanical fasteners holding the sink to the counter? You don't want to rely on just the caulk. If done right the caulk can be strong enough but I like having the clips to hold it in place for the several days it might take for the caulk to fully harden.

rufunky voted this post useful.
Old 08-09-22, 10:37 AM
R
Yes, I do have brackets holding it in place. Hopefully it will dry because when I left this morning it was hardly what I would concider dry to the touch

Old 08-09-22, 02:32 PM
R
So I just did a google search and it seems its common with the GE brand silicone. Wondering how hard it will be to remove it all and start over.. What a pain in the @ ! I had it perfectly smoothed too

Last edited by rufunky; 08-09-22 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-10-22, 04:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Which silicone did you use? Is it the smelly solvent based or a water based low VOC version?

Old 08-10-22, 03:35 PM
R
I used this stuff. It removed very easily with denatured alcohol. I applied new stuff and it dried the way it was supposed to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: