High humidity and stain on oak dining room table.

Old 08-21-22, 01:52 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
High humidity and stain on oak dining room table.

I am refinishing my dining room table and 4 leaves all of which are made out of oak. I have stripped the old finish, sanded (120; 150; 180) and cleaned up with wood with mineral spirits. Yesterday, I used wood conditioner which said the table needed to be stained within 2 hours. I followed up with a coat of oil based stain which was allowed to sit for less than 15 minutes and then wiped off. I am now 24 hours post staining and my table is showing tiny dots (when looking at it an angle). The outside humidity ranged between 78-92% during this drying time. I did set up a fan within the garage to keep the air circulating. Do I give it more drying time or do I need to do something else? FYI, the humidity is at 54% today.

Thanks

Old 08-21-22, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,977 Upvotes on 1,772 Posts
Tiny dots of what? Stain? Open pored woods like oak tend to bleed certain colors of stain if you only wipe it once. Keep wiping it. And if the stain has dried, wet a scotchbrite pad with paint thinner and scrub and wipe it as needed. It will need plenty of dry time before you proceed to the next step in finishing... at least 24 hrs.

I've noticed that Minwax stains, particularly the darker colors like to do that.

Old 08-21-22, 02:17 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, tiny dots of stain. I used the Early American shade of Minwax oil stain so that might be the oak doing it’s thing. Thank you for the suggestion of paint thinner and scotchbrite pad. I’ll try wiping it down a few more times and if not fixed, will move to the thinner and pad. Which grade of scotchbrite should I use on this?

Old 08-21-22, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,977 Upvotes on 1,772 Posts
Green is what I typically keep on hand. This problem seems worse if the sun hits it or if the temperature rises. Vapor drive, I assume.

Old 08-22-22, 03:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I've never seen a need to use a wood conditioner on hard woods like oak, it's generally only needed when staining soft woods.

I concur with wiping/scrubbing it down with mineral spirits to remove the excess stain/spots.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: