Staining wood before cutting

Old 12-20-22, 03:53 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Staining wood before cutting

Hello, I just want to know if it's possible to stain my wood before cutting it. I won't have access to a table saw until tomorrow, so if I can stain today before cutting, that would reduce my project time a bit. I'm just making frames for some projects I've made as gifts for Christmas, and I couldn't find frames I liked, so I am making some. So it's not a huge project, but the finished look does matter a little. Obviously there will be some ends present after cutting and assembly, and I'm not sure if I'd want to stain those, or paint them a different color, one that might match the work going inside the frame, as an added detail. Opinions on that would also be appreciated as I'm terrible at making decisions. Thank you to all who reply.

Old 12-20-22, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
A lot of times it's beneficial to stain the wood first but you should also apply 1 coat of poly so the stain doesn't get damaged as you handle it. I've never had any issues going back and staining bare spots from cuts or whatever.

Old 12-20-22, 05:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,324 Upvotes on 2,067 Posts
In many cases I completely finish molding, stain and poly, before cutting and installing. I set up an area to work comfortably in the shop and go through and stain and seal all the material. Sometimes no touch up is needed but if it is it's super quick and easy to do. I often use a small modelers paint brush since I only need to touch up small areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: