Cleaning/restoring furniture after fire

Old 12-24-22, 10:54 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Cleaning/restoring furniture after fire

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas one and all!
As per my title of this post, we lost our home (Dec. 7th) due to a fire that started in our garage. (long story about how that started). While the contents of the home itself didn't actually burn (fire had spread through the attic from our attached garage), there was a lot of water and soot damage everywhere.

I believe this chest is of pressed wood??

This is a partial viewing of the chest

This is that chest that had been restained several years earlier. I think it may be real wood, but uncertain of that.

There are several other pieces of furniture that I would really like to save & have cleaned, but unsure of whom to contact to do it and if it would be worth doing?
Haven't discussed this with our insurance agent yet, but wanted to get some opinions before approaching him with this information.
Thanks for any help/suggestion you can offer!

Old 12-24-22, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
Sorry for your loss.
I'm an electrician and have worked in homes after a fire. It's not a pretty sight.

We hate to part with furniture that we've had for a while or that has sentimental value.
Unfortunately with the high cost of labor it's not always effective to repair/refinish.
The insurance company will only give you minimal replacement value which probably won't cover refinishing.

There are refinishing companies in most areas.
Doubtful they'll come to the house so you may need to supply pictures for a basic estimate.
The pressed wood dresser may not even be reparable as that product expands greatly when wet.

Old 12-24-22, 04:29 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
We went through the same thing 3 years ago. A garage fire that spread through the attic. Outside of the attic the house received little fire damage but the water and smoke damage was extensive. Our insurance company recommended that the house be gutted and restored.

We hired a restoration company. The one we chose was a big mistake but that is another story. They had a sub contractor that did all of the cleaning and restoration of our furniture, electronics and clothing. Unlike the fire restoration company they were awesome. They cleaned all of our clothing, bedding and furniture. The only major things that we lost were the mattresses. We were told that because they were wet and smoke damaged they could not be cleaned.

Look in your area for fire damage mitigation companies. They are pricey but our insurance covered everything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: