Attaching Travertine stone top to stone base?

Old 01-03-23, 06:58 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Attaching Travertine stone top to stone base?

I've just purchased a Travertine table, but I'm concerned the top will topple if anyone leans on it. As you can see from the photos below, it's got a narrow base, which is hollow (there's nothing on each end of it either).
The top is not attached to the base at all - the top's weight of 70kg holds it in place. There is one small rectangular piece of stone attached to the underneath of the top, which lines up with the interior edge of the base, helping to center the top. I'm extremely worried that the table will topple if someone leans on it when standing up, or if a child leans on it. It could cause some serious damage!

I was thinking of filling the center base with sandbags (or something similar), then gluing the top to the base. But I have no idea if this method will work, or what the best way to attach the base to the top is.

Here are images of the base:

Top is diameter 140cm

Base is hollow, diameter 40cm

Any advice would be massively appreciated. We love the table, but are very worried about the danger it will pose to young children especially.

Old 01-04-23, 12:03 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
It was purchased that way and was intended to be free standing?

Just looking at that thing, imagining a top weighing 154# all teetering on that narrow base would scare the hell out of me.

Something just doesn't seem right, parts or mounting instructions are missing.

Old 01-04-23, 03:34 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, it was sold this way. It's an antique, probably from the days when safety wasn't really an issue. It appears that the previous owner had used tape of some sort, but that's long since deteriorated.

Old 01-05-23, 08:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,182 Upvotes on 1,952 Posts
Boy, that thing is a hazard. I hope you don't have small children or pets around. It could kill a child or small pet if it tips over and cause serious injury or a serious boo boo at the minimum. I would consider that table for outdoor use where the base can be anchored so it can't tip over.

I would consider a epoxy or outdoor landscape adhesive like is used to glue retaining wall blocks together. This will create a mostly permenant joint so the table will be even difficult to move in the future as one piece.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: