staining a piano

Old 07-10-01, 12:36 PM
Visiting Guest
I have just finished stripping and sanding my piano of its 30 year reign with children. It was in bad shape and needed a refinishing job. Okay I have done the messy part. Now I need to find out what is next. It needs to be cleaned I'm told, but with what. What is the next step before staining it. Also,is there something I can use to fill in areas where it was damaged (by reckless movers, mostly - this piano has been moved thirteen times in 30 years)? Does it need to be sealed with something too, before applying the finish?. (I don't have time to travel to a library, so that is why I've chosen to use the internet.) Please help. Thank you.
Belle

Old 07-11-01, 07:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Belle:

If you used a solvent based stripper, clean the piece with lacquer thinner and steel wool.

Make any necessary mechanical repairs (including those scratches and dents), then stain and finish.

I normally use a wood dough (such as Famowood) to fill holes and scratches that can not be sanded out. Try to match the color of the wood with the dough as closely as possible, knowing in advance you're going to have to touch up the color later - it will NOT match, nor will it take satin liike the surrounding wood - not matter what the can says.

I normally use a sealer only under a spray applied lacquer finish. If you're going to use brush on lacquer, standard varnish, or polyurethane, the first coat will serve as a sealer - a separate product is not necessary.

Let us know how you're getting along, and if I've left any questions unanswered (or raised new ones) come on back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: