Professional cabinet installer help please

Old 06-30-23, 03:00 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Professional cabinet installer help please

I'm trying to figure out the most aesthetically pleasing way to join my wall baseboard to the kicker plate under these cabinets.

I'm using scrap baseboard leftover from the walls and ripped down to size for the kicker plate .

One full piece across the wall and side of the cabinet just looks odd to me as the wall in the cabinet are two separate entities.

I have a bunch of scrap pieces and I've tried a bunch of different ways but I'm just not sure how a professional would handle this.

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Last edited by rufunky; 06-30-23 at 03:43 PM.

Top Answer

06-30-23, 05:45 PM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
You'd usually stop the base where the cabinet starts and put a return on the end. A return is like turning a 90 degree corner, but the piece you glue on the end of the 45 is another 45, like a triangle viewed from above, so that it's not just a square cut end. The profile wraps around the corner.

Old 06-30-23, 04:20 PM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
Baseboard around the corner and across the side of cabinet, toe kick under the cabinet only!

rufunky voted this post useful.
Old 06-30-23, 05:16 PM
B
Received 322 Upvotes on 284 Posts
Something is out of plumb. The cabinet back is inside the wall at its bottom and outside the wall at its top. This makes placing a piece of trim to cover the gap between the wall and cabinet near impossible. This condition needs to be fixed. The wall baseboard should not go beyond the corner of wall since there is no room for a mitered piece to turn 90 degrees into the cabinet wall.

Old 06-30-23, 05:36 PM
R
Something is out of plumb. The cabinet back is inside the wall at its bottom and outside the wall at its top. This makes placing a piece of trim to cover the gap between the wall and cabinet near impossible. This condition needs to be fixed. The wall baseboard should not go beyond the corner of wall since there is no room for a mitered piece to turn 90 degrees into the cabinet wall.
I have not finished shimming or attaching the cabinets to the wall yet so things are a little off still.
I just cut a piece of backerboard to cover the side as well as the 4.5" platform i built for the cabinets to sit on.This is how my main base cabinet sides are finished.

Do you think if I just stop the base board at the wall, paint the backerboard side piece white like the rest of the cabinets (like picture below) it will yield the best result?

Old 06-30-23, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
You'd usually stop the base where the cabinet starts and put a return on the end. A return is like turning a 90 degree corner, but the piece you glue on the end of the 45 is another 45, like a triangle viewed from above, so that it's not just a square cut end. The profile wraps around the corner.

marksr, rufunky voted this post useful.
Old 06-30-23, 06:04 PM
R
Same as you would do on a window apron?

Old 06-30-23, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Yep.

Old 06-30-23, 07:03 PM
R
Got it, thanks for the help everyone! 🍺

Old 07-01-23, 04:58 AM
Do you think if I just stop the base board at the wall,
Assuming the wall and side of cabinet are flush, by doing that you will have two pieces of trim that end where the wall and cabinet meet. Two different shapes, two different heights, and will be an instant eye catcher. Lay them out and see but having a single piece will be the cleanest installation.

Old 07-02-23, 04:50 AM
I'm going to change my earlier recommendation since I walked to the kitchen and see that I have pretty much the exact situation, with exception that the drywall is about an inch away from the side of the cabinet.

Baseboard up to the edge of the cabinet with return, toe kick under the cabinet face, then qtr/shoe molding around everything with a small jog where it meets the base.

I realized putting base or shoe on the side of the cabinet was not the best look!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: