Filler for particle board cabinet strong, to hold machine-type screw

Old 08-07-23, 07:35 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Filler for particle board cabinet strong, to hold machine-type screw

The 'legacy' cabinets in my kitchen are moderatley poor particle board with some kind of laminate facing. The hinges of the cabinet doors are well-made steel affairs, each side of each hinge taking two machine-type screws about 3/4" long,.

One hinge on one cabinet door has ripped out. I have tried to fill the screwholes with wood filler, but the filler I used seems not to have been designed for this kind of work: the screws just rip it out when I start to tighten them.

Any suggestions for a filler compound that will bond to particle board and take a screw without crumbling?

Thanks all.

Old 08-07-23, 11:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
Particle board sucks, no getting around it. I would attempt this by gluing wood dowel into place but I wouldn't hold my breath on it working; the particle board is the weak link here.

Old 08-08-23, 03:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
It is difficult to make a lasting repair on particle board. Would it look terrible if you moved the hinge? Maybe make the repair, drill thru it and use a bolt, nut and washer.

Old 08-08-23, 05:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,310 Upvotes on 2,055 Posts
I would remove the problem hinge. Soak the underlying, damaged particle board with thin CA (cyanoacrylate) glue. You want to soak the wood and let the glue soak in for better strength. Then I'd pack the hole with sawdust and soak in more thin CA. Make sure it has fully hardened. Then you can pilot drill and reinstall the hinge and it's screws.

This trick also works with screws/hinges that are still in good condition. Remove the hardware then squirt thin CA into the screw holes. Allow plenty of time for it to fully harden. Then you can reinstall the screws back into the reinforced holes.

Make absolutely certain that the glue is hardened before installing any screws. You do NOT want to Super Glue the screws into place. If you do, they can't be removed without causing some damage.

Old 08-08-23, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Upvotes on 215 Posts
Some interesting repairs possible with Super Glue and baking soda; never heard of that until I saw some YouTube videos.

Old 08-08-23, 09:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,310 Upvotes on 2,055 Posts
Baking soda is one option but you can use almost anything as a filler. I've used chopped fiberglass, carbon fiber, sawdust, baking soda, talc, fabric, cotton ball... Each has it's own pro's and con's, one biggie being "do I have it on hand" since repairs like this are often done emergency style with what's on hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: