How can this stool seat be dealt with?

Old 02-18-24, 12:59 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How can this stool seat be dealt with?

This is the seat of a stool we're thinking about buying from someone but the owner kindly wanted to make us aware of this gash in the wood. The price is too good to let these two stools go and the damage is only on one of them. What can be done to deal with this? I imagine it's a choice between either filling it or leaving it and just softening/sanding it. But filling you'll never get that grain again.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Top Answer

02-18-24, 04:53 PM
CarbideTipped
Received 173 Upvotes on 141 Posts
If you know any woodworkers, it's possible a piece (dutchman) could be cut out of the bottom of the seat where it isn't visible and inserted into the top. The piece could be chosen so the grain matches well. But then the seat would likely need to be refinished.

Old 02-18-24, 01:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
That is too deep to sand out. The only way I can think of to make filler look acceptable would be to apply a faux wood finish over the filler - easier said than done.

Old 02-18-24, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Yeah, I'd probably use a wood filler, something like this.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/i....htm?exp=false

Get it as smooth as you can, might take a couple applications... drag a razor blade across it to ensure its flat. Lightly sand, add more as needed. I'd try to stain it to match the light wood but you might find that you need to faux it yourself with some furniture markers.

Example

Once its acceptable, give the seat a couple coats of a wipe on poly.

tinpanalley voted this post useful.
Old 02-18-24, 04:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,186 Upvotes on 1,956 Posts
I'd leave it. Call it "patina" or "character".

tinpanalley voted this post useful.
Old 02-18-24, 04:53 PM
C
Received 173 Upvotes on 141 Posts
If you know any woodworkers, it's possible a piece (dutchman) could be cut out of the bottom of the seat where it isn't visible and inserted into the top. The piece could be chosen so the grain matches well. But then the seat would likely need to be refinished.

2john02458, tinpanalley voted this post useful.
Old 02-19-24, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Upvotes on 203 Posts
Random thought, I might consider filling it with a clear epoxy and then sanding flush after dry.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 02-19-24, 07:28 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Although that dent is pretty deep, I have had some luck with steam. place a damp washcloth over the dent and then put a hot iron over it allowing the steam to soak in. repeat several times. it causes the wood fibers to swell and can shrink the dent somewhat. you might need a coat of poly after and a little careful sanding. success will greatly depend on the damage. broken or cut wood fibers will not regain the old shape but compressed fibers might.

- Peter

Old 02-19-24, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Upvotes on 203 Posts
That crossed my mind, too, Peter, but I've never tried it with anything that major. No harm in trying, I wouldn't think.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: