Is this table completely stripped?

Old 04-21-24, 09:55 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this table completely stripped?

I wanted to strip off the ugly orange color from my old dining table and refinish it by staining darker and maybe adding some lime wash wax. I know the table has a veneer top but cannot determine if its fully stripped or what the light colored white marks are. I sanded by hand because I didn't want to go through the veneer. I believe there is MDF under it. Do I need to sand this further? Will the light marks be seen with a dark stain? I am a newbie and have watched so many videos and tried to follow the steps but I can't tell if this is what my table should look like fully stripped or if I haven't gotten through to the raw veneer. PLEASE don't say that wood veneer cannot be refinished and I'm out of luck, as I have seen so many people who have successfully done it. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Old 04-21-24, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
On those cheap oak veneer tables from Asia the veneer often cracks and puckers up as water gets under the veneer. So those high spots typically get worn off first.

Those tables are not a good candidate for refinishing because the veneer is so thin and because of how it's starting to come up here and there. With the amount of sanding it takes to take the old finish off, you will sand through the veneer and once you do that it's ruined.

You could try chemical stripping and light sanding but I would suggest you are wasting your time with this particular piece. And no your piece will not take dark stain as it currently looks.

Old 04-21-24, 04:21 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The table was made in North Carolina and believe me, it wasn't cheap. I wouldn't be bothering if it was "a cheap oak veneer table from Asia," and frankly, that's pretty critical and rude. Can anyone else out there help me?

Old 04-21-24, 06:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Maybe some more close-up pictures? I can see the spots where I believe X has interpreted them to be veneer lifting but maybe we'll see something else if we have better detail.

That said, veneer is veneer, I don't know that it really matters from where it comes.

Last edited by stickshift; 04-21-24 at 11:42 PM.
marksr voted this post useful.
Old 04-22-24, 01:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 863 Upvotes on 755 Posts
You are limited on how much you can sand a veneer so it's usually best to start with a chemical stripper.

The only way you can go darker without completely removing ALL of the old finish is to use a tinted poly like Minwax's PolyShades. Tinted poly works well but can be difficult to apply. It can not be touched up or over brushed.

sdodder voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: