parawood

Old 08-09-01, 03:44 PM
Visiting Guest
my stepdaughter and her boyfriend have purchased furniture in Florida and she says it is made of "parawood". Her father, a carpenter has never heard of it. Has anyone ever heard of parawood and what can you tell me about it. Is is a hard wood, etc? The furniture is unfinished and they would like to finish it themselves.

thank you

Old 08-10-01, 03:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mcaine:

Scientific Name: Heva Brasiliensis

Density: 7+ (Birch 7, Ash 8)

Strength Group: S6 (same as maple)

Parawood is native to the Amazon Region of South America. Information can be traced back to Christopher Columbus. It was during his second visit to South America, that he wondered about the heavy black ball the natives were using in games. This ball was made from the vegetable gum of the Parawood tree. Later historians would marvel at the substance, which bounced so much when thrown to the ground it appeared to be alive. In the 19th Century Henry Wickham, of England, transported some seeds to England for germination. The resulting seedlings were then taken to the Malay Peninsula for planting, where began the great Rubber Plantations of Malaysia.

After 25 years of latex production, the tree ceases to produce sufficient quantities of latex. The tree is cut for processing in the manufacture of fine furniture and a new tree is planted in its place. This is an example off manís ability to fully utilize our natural resources, without
harming the environment.

It makes an excellent wood to be used in furniture making. It is very hard and durable and takes stains extremely well. In the end it makes for bargain in the furniture world.

(the above quotation courtesy of

http://www.woodstuff.com/parawood.html

Old 08-14-01, 04:30 PM
Visiting Guest
parawood

George,
thank you for the information
I will forward it to my stepdaughter
mcaine

Old 09-03-08, 05:38 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Parawood

I've never worked with this wood before, can I dye parawood and if so do I do anything special?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: