white wash look to bedroom set

Old 08-13-01, 12:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I'm interested in painting an old bedroom set with a white washed look (white with darker appearance along corners and almost distressed looking). It is currently stained, so I will either need to remove all of the stain or just use a stain blocker. I'd be more inclined to the stain blocker since there are 2 large and one small piece that I am working with. Any suggestions for the technique to use/products to try. I don't want it to be too distressed looking, but I certainly don't want it to look like I just painted it white.

Old 08-13-01, 04:42 PM
George's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Hill, Va. USA
Posts: 2,817
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

There are a number of approaches ot achieve the look you want. Being inherently lazy, here's the one I would use.

Prime the piece completely. Sand back the areas where you want the darker stain to show, edges, corners, whatever. Apply a gel stain in an off white (minwax makes them, as well as others) to get the degree of 'whitewash' look you want. The gel type stains are easier to control, and yes, the will adhere to primer. After the piece dries completely you want coat with a water clear product for protection and the sheen of your choice.

Be sure the product says it's water clear - standard polys and varnishes have an amber cast that will change the look of your work.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: