deep scratches on wood

Old 09-30-01, 09:39 AM
Visiting Guest
How do I remove - not camouflage - the deep scratches gouged into my wood hutch? By deep I mean that I can feel the scracthes but I think it they don't go any deeper than the finish.

Thanks.

Old 10-05-01, 07:23 AM
Visiting Guest
JTB371,
You have asked a difficult question. The cure may be worse then the problem. It will not be possible to remove the scratches without going into the finish that surrounds it making more of a blemish then you have now. I am guessing that the finish you have is a lacquer. If you can confirm that with the store you bought it from, that would be good. Otherwise pick a small unnoticed spot and rub it with fingernail polish remover and see if it softens the film. If it does, then it is a lacquer. The best thing to do is to repaint the side of the piece and let the scratches blend in with the finish you put on. Lacquers do this very well. Suppose your piece has a semigloss or satin finish. You could always use a rotten stone or pumice and try to rub out the scratches but you may be able to see that the piece was worked on. You may be best off by trying to camoflage the scratch with a scratch hiding pen available at most paint stores. It causes less problems, is easy to use and may caus less headaches.

Old 10-05-01, 08:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you - I have a question

Dear Painter,

Thanks for your reply. I don't really understand this part of your answer:

"The best thing to do is to repaint the side of the piece and let the scratches blend in with the finish you put on. Lacquers do this very well. Suppose your piece has a
semigloss or satin finish. "

I know I can buy the scratch pen, but wanted to try something a little better. The wood is stained very dark and then has a satin sheen on it. You can see the wood grain. I think if I buff it with a pumice stone, it will take the stain color off - then I'd have a real problem. Maybe the pen is the way to go. Cats !!!!!!

JT

Old 10-06-01, 01:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
JT:

Take a look at the answer I posted for betsyritz on her post dmage to finish on a new end table - this will work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: