refinishing chairs

Old 10-16-01, 04:26 AM
p.m.monroe
Visiting Guest
I picked up some dining room chairs from a yard sale and I wanted to apply a coat of polyurethane to them(they're old)but my husband said it might peel. How do I tell if it's ok to go ahead.The finish is 'I think' gone. I don't want to sand them.

Old 10-16-01, 02:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
P.M.

It's entirely possible your husband is right. If the chairs were factory made, the original finish is probably lacquer. It's highly unlikely ALL the finish has deteriorated. Poly applied over lacquer WILL peel - and that's all there is to that.

Dampen a rag with lacquer thinner and rub an area of the chair. If the rag starts to drag or stick, the finish is lacquer, and it's still there. Before applying poly, this finish must be removed.

Old 11-04-01, 07:31 AM
p.m.monroe
Visiting Guest
Unhappy refinishing chairs

Thanks George,

There is no sign of lacquer. There doesn't seem to be any finish. It feels like rough wood to the touch, which is why I wanted to put a coat of Poly. on it. I like the stain and wanted to protect the wood. Do I have to steel wool before I apply Poly.?

P.M.

Old 11-06-01, 05:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you're dealing with raw wood (and that appears ot be the case), you don't need to steel wool or sand unless the wood is rougher than you want. The more coats of finish you apply, the smoother the final appearance wil be - with proper sanding between coats, of course.

Old 11-06-01, 08:09 AM
p.m.monroe
Visiting Guest
Talking Refinishing Chairs

Thanks a million George your insight has been a big help. I'll be sure to pick your brain in the future. Thanks again, P.M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: