dull cherry wood kitchen cabinets

Old 10-20-01, 12:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

the kitchen cabinets in my home are cherry wood and dull looking, no shine whatsoever...i'd like to bring them back to life somehow preferably w/out having to take them down ....what's the easiet/best way for me to do this ??

Old 10-21-01, 02:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trixy:

Tell the following:

1- Were the cabinets factory made, and when.

2- Do they appear to have a finish on them.

Old 10-24-01, 11:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking CHERRY WOOD CABINET

HI GEORGE....
THE CABINETS WERE FACTORY MADE AND I WOULD ASSUME AROUND 10-15 YRS AGO.... THEY DO HAVE A FINISH ON THEM ... ITS LOW SHINE ...... WHAT HAS HAPPENED, THERE ARE BLACK SPOTS PROBABLY FROM BEING HANDLED AROUND THE KNOBS THAT ARE THERE AS WELL...I TRIED LEMONS, ORANGES, FURNITURE POLISH , GOT FUSTRATED AND WENT FOR EVEN USING BRILLO..... I'D WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THEM BROUGHT DOWN TO THE LIGHTEST COLOR IN THE STAIN RATHER THAN THE DARK CHERRY LOOK BUUUUTTTT THAT;S ALOT OF WORK - I BELIEVE THEY ARE CALLED RUSTIC CHERRY (PERHAPS THE NAME OF THE STAIN?).....TALK TO U SOON.... THANKS FOR WHATEVER SUGGESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE...

Old 10-27-01, 12:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trixy:

A lot of new concerns voiced in your last post - As far as cleaning them up and restoring the sheen, cleaning with naphtha and repolishing with Liquid Gold should do the trick.

If you want to lighten the piece, and/or remove those black marks, you're going to have to strip the finish off.

The black marks may come off with the finish , but probably not. For that, you'll need an application of oxalic acid (a wood bleach) available from your local paint store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: