French Provincial refinish

Old 09-02-01, 04:38 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi All,

Is anyone having trouble posting here??? I tried to reply TWICE to Strawhouses's question about critters and desert plants. Before that I replied to another post about "leaves on trees". I didn't pay a lot of attention to the error messages, but when I logged out and logged back in, I could see my reply about the leaves, but have NOT been able to see my response about the critters.

ANYWAY, concerning the critters, what critters are we talking about? Certain critters stay away from certain plants, but not much keeps them away from anything if they are starving.

Gami

Old 12-21-01, 12:47 PM
Visiting Guest
French Provincial refinish

Howdy,

My wife, Ruth, has had a French Provencial bedroom set for many years. Time has taken its toll on it, and it has been repaired several times, and has survived three sons! But, its time to refinish and I don't have the knowledge to do it. I am not a novice at finishing, just at this French Provencial finish. According to Ruth, it is a baked on white finish, with gold trim. I see dark specks in it that must have been either sprayed on or flicked on with an old tooth-brush.

Ok, HELP. How do you make this finish after I get this stuff stripped????

Coach

Old 12-21-01, 02:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Coach:

To be honest I don't know how they do it at the factory, but I have refinsihed French Provincial in my shop. Here's how I did it. Although I used some specialized equipment, my method can be adapted to your needs.

Assuming first the furniture has been stripped, and if necessary sanded. All dents and dings have been filled in and resanded. In other words, the piece needs no further repair and is ready for finish.

Prime: Use a sandable primer such as BIN or Kilz. Allow to dry, then sand smooth (240 grit paper). If needed, prime and sand again.

Paint: Most French Provincial basecoats are NOT a pure white - they're an offwhite. Choose one you like in a semi-gloss oil-based paint and paint. Allow to dry (overnight, usually), sand out any rough spots or runs, and paint again. Allow to dry at least 3 days.

Go to a craft store and buy acrylic gold paint (it's waterbased). Apply where needed with a brush to get the gold trim (around drawer edges, in the carvings, etc. Wipe away errors with a damp rag as you go.

FYI - When I did this in the shop, I used an off white lacquer and sprayed the base coat on. I allowed this to dry for several days then applied the gold trim as an oil based gold paint with an air brush, using paint thinner to wipe off the overspray (Paint thinner won't affect cured lacquer).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: