stripping furniture

Old 01-28-02, 01:25 PM
aydialouise
Visiting Guest
stripping furniture

Looking for a good way to strip paint off of wood, one or more coats possibly. I have a small desk that has been painted , and have stripped wood before, but it has been years. Any replies will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-02, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
I recently refinished a table that was my Great Grandmother's and is probably 70 years old. You wouldn't believe the beautiful solid oak that was under all that old finish!. Anyway, I used Citristrip that I bought at Home Depot. Worked like a charm.

Old 01-29-02, 06:11 PM
hy
Visiting Guest
stripping a desk

PEEL AWAY 7 will do a great job for you. Visit the web site at www.peelaway.com

Old 02-03-02, 09:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy stripping paint

I recently used Bix Stripping (found at Walmart) and was not pleased. I was removing a portion of white latex paint from an old headboard. It took several coats (7) just to see good results. I am thinking of trying Citristrip or trying a new product, called Ready Strip, I have seen on TV infomercials that appears to be quicker and easier. Has anyone tried these other products?

Old 02-03-02, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
Citristrip works good, just have to give it enough time and it's a little messy, but washes off. Actually, the directions I think say to use a Citristrip remover wash product, but unfortunately have never seen that even at H.D. (wish there was a Lowe's closer!)where I got the Citristrip.

Haven't tried the peel-away, but as I recall it's supposed to dry after a while and you, like the name says, peel away the old finish.

Old 02-04-02, 09:43 PM
archtct
Visiting Guest
I have used Zipstrip for all my finish removals. Works great on both stain and paint.

Old 02-10-02, 08:47 PM
hy
Visiting Guest
stripping wood surfaces

PEEL AWAY 7 as stated before will do your job in one application. The product will not dry since the chemicals contained therin have a very low rate of evaporation in a ddition to the product being covered with the PEEL AWAY paper.