molding

Old 02-10-02, 03:55 PM
Visiting Guest
molding

I recently bought a home that has stained molding around the windows and on the floors. The revious owners used 3 different colored stains on the wood. I would prefer to have it one color, as some areas, such as the window moldings, have all of the different colors per each window. There are 3 different cans of Minwax stain left in the garage (Early American, Special Walnut and Cherry). I would prefer to have the Cherry tone. However, there is a problem in the way it has been applied as some moldings are so dark that they look like they are dark brown. Also, instead of wood filler between the moldings around the windows and in the corners floor moldings, spackle compound was used and stained over and it is cracking out. Some of the areas between the molding around the window and the sill have a big gap. Should I fill that with wood putty first, all the way down to the molding?
It doesn't appear that any polyurethane was used over the top of the stain. This is going to be a lot of work, but it needs to be done to look better.

The nails in the molding were never deep set. It won't be that hard to try to pull the molding off, if I have to do it.

Another problem I have about staining, is the front wooden door. It is too cold now to refinish, but it is decorative with lots of molding squares in it, and will need to be stripped. It faces the south side of the house and gets the hot sun in the summer. How can I restore this beautiful door and keep it safe from the cold winters here in Michigan?

Any help will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks, OMA

Old 02-10-02, 04:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rosemary:

In my experience, the only solution to your mis-stained molding is to replace it and start again.

As for the door, when it's been cleaned and restained to your satisfaction, you need to look for a polyurethane that has a UV (ultraviolet) inhibitor in it - the stronger the better.

Strong sunlight can wreak havoc on most finishes, but the ones with a UV inhibitor hold up better than most.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: