painting old furniture

Old 03-17-02, 04:05 PM
deniseorjohn
Visiting Guest
painting old furniture

I am trying to repaint an old bedroom set. It was factory painted by the Luce Co. in the 1920's.
Hoping we can get the original paint off which has been very hard to do (it's very hard paint), I tried using latex paint which seems to be coming off after the first layer when I lightly sand it - mostly where it's on top of original paint. My father thought a deglosser would help. We didn't prime it with anything - should I? My father thought it might be a lacquer paint since it's very hard, but somebody else thought it might be milk paint.
And, should I use oil paint? The latex was drying very quickly while trying to smooth it out even mixing some Floetrol didn't help much.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-02, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Almost all factory finishes including the colors are lacquer. Yes you need to sand AND prime in order to have a new finish adhere.

Deglosser, sometimes called 'liquid sandpaper' may take the place of sanding, but it's primary use is for prepping PAINTED surfaces - yours is lacquer.

Oil based paint will take longer to dry, but it also (in may experience) flows out better.

DON"T OVERBRUSH - the longer you 'fuss' with it the more likely you are to leave brush marks. Put it on, spread it out, and let it settle out on its own.

BTW - BIN and KILZ are both good primers.