to stain or polyurethane

Old 03-19-02, 06:24 AM
oona
Visiting Guest
to stain or polyurethane

I am stripping a mahogany desk. My question is whether to stain, polyurethane, wax, and/or oil it when I am done. I am not crazy about the reddish tint of mahogany, and since I can't go lighter, I was thinking of staining it in the brown family. I don't like shiny--the salesman at the hardware store told me that once I put polyurethane I am stuck--that is, I would have to strip it again if I didn't like it. Can I put only a stain and some protective product on it?

Thank-you again for your help!

Oona

Old 03-19-02, 06:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oona,
You could try a brown or even walnut stain, but it still might have a reddish hue when you're done. A second applicatin of stain would darken itto a degree.
Waxes and oils are really not much protection for a piece of furniture. A satin polyurethane will not be nearly as shiney as a gloss. The satins have non-reflective particles to eliinate the gloss. I would suggest testing with a small can of satin in an inconspicuous area before you decide. When using satin poly it is best to stir well and then pour into a shallower container to ensure a constant mix of the satin properties.
Another possibility would be a satin tung oil finish, but many of these are a thinned poly anyway. Always test first.
fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: