antique? question

Old 04-06-02, 08:00 AM
pensmann
Visiting Guest
antique? question

I have recently discoveredd a cabinet that has a marble top, which has sat in a damp cellar for a number of years. The vaneer has peeled away from the wood. The door pieces are seperating and falling apart. The wood is dried out and appears to not have much finish left on it. What can I do to repair it?? or is it a lost cause??

Old 04-11-02, 05:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
With all due respect, if you have to ask, it's probably beyond your capabilities.

BUT...

I would definitely get it looked at by a qualified appraiser. He/She will be able to value thepiece, determine its provenance (history) and help you decide whether it's worth having a professional restorer called in.

PS - The marble top indicates a Victorian era piece - most definitely an antique, but beyond that, I can't tell you a thing.

Old 04-18-02, 04:41 AM
glennia
Visiting Guest
marble

I found a Hoosier cabinet in about the same shape you describe.
If you can visualize it redone as something you would want for yourself it might be worth the effort it will require to fix it.

Take it to a reputable antique restorer and get an opinion on replacing the veneer or bad wood. If they say it can't be saved consider having the marble top put on a newly built piece.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: