restoring damaged windowsills

Old 04-16-02, 08:40 PM
noblelady
Visiting Guest
restoring damaged windowsills

Hello!

We are in a house where it seems that the former occupants left EVERY window open in a few rainstorms: the finish on ALL the sills is cracked and horrible. It is an Oakwood home, with beautiful oak throughout that needs a little TLC.
I once saw a product that would slightly dissolve the existing flawed finish, and allow it to be "re spread" over the surface, eliminating, in most cases the need to remove the damaged older finish, sanding etc etc.

Does anyone know what this stuff is called, or where I could get it?

Thanks!
donna

Old 04-17-02, 04:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Donna,
Forget about the 'miracle' fix. There is no such thing, especially for what you probably have - polyurethane on oak.
You can use a paint stripper or do the sanding. If the oak has darkened due the moisture problem, it can be bleached after it is sanded. After it's looking good, you can stain and poly it or just use the poly for protection.
fred

Old 04-21-02, 05:13 AM
MsAnnie
Visiting Guest
I love the results of Formby's Refinisher. I have used it many times on furniture - don't see why it wouldn't work or your windowsills. It's not a quick process - but the results are nice and maintains a patina. It's a clear liquid you apply with steel wool, rubbing in circles, dissolving and wiping up the old finish - it's much kinder to the surface that traditional stripping, doesn't raise the woodgrain. It then accepts a new coat of polyurethane nicely - although on furniture I usually use several coats of hand rubbed tung oil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: