Laquer Finish

Old 05-06-02, 08:49 AM
JohnIV
Visiting Guest
Laquer Finish

I have a pine coffee table that was purchased new a few years ago. While tying flies (for fly fishing) on the table, I spilled a small bottle of laquer. I quickly attempted to wipe up the spill with a paer towel, but the spilt laquer dissolved the finish on the table in a small area. Judging from this, I assume that the table has a laquer finish.

While thinking to myself that the problem wasn't that bad, I failed to notice that the spilt laquer had gotten under my flytying vise which has a rubber-type coated base. When I removed the vise a few minutes later, the table's finish was noticably more blemished in this area. It had dried and was very rough with a dark color, presumably from the black rubber bottom of the vise. I picked at the dark colored spot with my fingernail which revealed a rough surface that is a little lighter than the stain on the rest of the table--evidently the stain is partially removed.

What do I do? It seems that spraying the table with a coat of laquer would have cured the problem of the former damage. However, I am more worried about the latter damage. I guess I should lightly sand this area, but how can I try to even out the color without stripping and starting over?

Assuming I can fix the more blemished spot, what type of laquer should. Aerosol? Brand? Anything else I should know?

John

Old 05-06-02, 02:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
John:

All the assumptions you've made are correct. Getting the color back in that one area is almost impossible wihtout stripping the top and restaining.

You can, however, repair the finish itself with a small cash outlay and some patience.

I use Deft aerosol lacquer for many minor repairs like this - get the sheen you want, along with several piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a sleeve (one piece if you can borrow it somewhere) of 0000 steel wool. You'll also need a flat block of wood (or a standard sanding block if you have one).

Spray a coat of lacquer over the blemish and let dry completely. Using the sandpaper, backed by a sanding block and lubricated with water, sand OVER the area. What you're trying to do here is gradually fill the depression, while removing the overspray around the defect.

Repeat this procedure until the defect has been filled and sanding yields a uniformly dull appearance across the area.

Use the steel wool and some ordinary cooking oil (wesson, Crisco, whatever you have handy) to rub out the sanding marks. You may have to go over the entire top to get a uniform sheen.

Once the defects have been filled and rubbed out, you may find the color variation considerably less noticeable. You'll have to decide whether you can live with it, or not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: