wrought iron doll bed

Old 05-29-02, 03:27 PM
deniseorjohn
Visiting Guest
wrought iron doll bed

I have a very old wrought iron doll bed, probably from the 1930's. The paint or finish on it is crackled. It looks to be perhaps a baked on finish - it's very hard to get off. My husband has tried furniture strippers to no avail, so he has to scrap it off. There are tedious areas such as the springs plus slats to head and foot boards. Any ideas of best way to do this or should we get it sand blasted. I got a quote on sandblasting and they want $70 to it.
Also, what kind of paint or finish for wrought iron for a child's use?
Thanks!

Old 05-29-02, 04:59 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
"NOTE: For those of you interested in refinishing wrought iron or similar types of furnishings, I recommend you acquire a portable air compressor fitted with a sandblasting apparatus. This type of system will enable you to thoroughly strip (and simultaneously sand) an item of such complexity. The same air compressor, fitted with a paint spraying unit is also the most economical and exacting method of recovering wrought iron." Painted Furniture. Furniture Refinishing. DoItYourself.com. Retrieved 29 May 2002. http://doityourself.com/woodfinish/strip.htm

Old 05-29-02, 05:19 PM
deniseorjohn
Visiting Guest
Is there any other option to getting the original finish or lacquer or whatever was used back then off? Any ideas for paint or finish?
Thanks!

Old 05-29-02, 07:09 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by deniseorjohn
Is there any other option to getting the original finish or lacquer or whatever was used back then off? Any ideas for paint or finish?
Thanks!
You could use a semi-paste stripper and the handy wire brush attachment, which fits a hand held drill, and a large amount of graded steel wool. Start with coarse and finish with four 0000, very fine. Not all strippers work on all paints, and it takes time and multiple applications.

One concern about old paints is that they contain lead, so dust can be a problem. You could take the item to a place that does sandblasting.

Another concern about wrought iron is that it tends to start to rust within 48 hours, so it is best if a rust primer is applied immediately. Then, you could spray or brush with enamel paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: