2 Color Tabletop

Old 06-03-02, 06:43 AM
pmg
Visiting Guest
2 Color Tabletop

I want to refinish a small round table but the top of it is a two-tone stain.The outer inch and a half of the circle is natural wood,and the rest of the inlay is done in dark stain.There is a hard coat of poly over the entire tabletop.My question is how can I restain this dark inlay without getting it on the natural outer ring?Should I simply take off the poly,sand it and put a new coat of finish and leave the stain alone?

Old 06-03-02, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to refinish to remove scratches,etc., from an otherwise sound finish - just sand (scuff it up - don't sand the finish off) and recoat. Be certain you're using the same finish, however.

If this is your reason for refinishing, it's not necessary to strip the piece or sand it down to bare wood.

PS: - I'll be money you're dealing with two different woods, one naturally darker than the other...

Old 06-04-02, 06:03 AM
pmg
Visiting Guest
Ideally I'd like to take off the existing finish-I dont think I'll need to restain after looking at it again but I would like to take off the thick,hard,chipped poly type finish and rub it down with some sort of oil-maybe tung oil-What's the best approach to take off just the poly finish without stripping any color?

Old 06-04-02, 07:07 PM
Kwik paint and varnish remover is one of the few strippers I know of that WILL remove stain - most of the others won't. Take your pick.

Old 06-06-02, 06:07 AM
pmg
Visiting Guest
I ended up using a quality brand furniture "refinisher" that just took off the old finish.now I'm left with a slightly whitish tint on the darker area of the table-I'm guessing that can be cleaned with denatured alcohol?

Old 06-08-02, 07:19 PM
Denatured alcohol might work - I usually use lacquer thinner..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: