Table about to become firewood!

Old 06-12-02, 02:46 PM
maxib
Visiting Guest
Table about to become firewood!

I have stripped my dining room table for the SECOND time and have now applied three coats of wipe-on poly. It does not want to dry and is VERY streaky--some shiny streaks and some dull. I just called MinWax tech support and was told I needed to wait until the humidity was under 50% (not likely this time of year in Oklahoma!) They also said my only option was to strip for a THIRD time and start all over again. Does anyone have ANY other options?? I really don't want to strip this thing again. If I do strip it again is an oil finish the only option? Please help!

Old 06-13-02, 02:25 PM
Shelley30
Visiting Guest
I'd say that something isn't right in Kansas...if you've done it several times and it's all sticky and foggy...I suggest stripping it, letting it dry out for a week or so...then do something besides a conventional stain on it...but then again I don't know what kind of look would work for you home of the style of the table...either way - steel wool it - I think that might help clean out and prep the pores before you apply yet another thing to it.

Old 06-13-02, 05:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
While it's not widely known, blushing can attack almost any finish - including poly. The humidity allow moisture to become trapped in the finish, hence the cloudy look. I seriously doubt, however, that this is the cause of the non-drying - that's usually caused by a contaminated surface. Could be either all the finish wasn't removed, the stain hadn't dried completely, any number of things (including that old enemy, silcone).

Persevere - everyone (me included) has problems like this from time to time.

Old 06-13-02, 05:44 PM
maxib
Visiting Guest
If my problem is a contaminated surface, how do I correct that problem? I have stripped (twice), sanded and sanded some more, bleached, neutralized the bleach and sanded yet again. And, at this point is there ANY OTHER recourse other than stripping yet again?

Old 06-13-02, 06:22 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Contaminated wood surface on furniture

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00001.asp

Old 06-15-02, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Max:

Here's one possible approach - no guarantees.

Paint the tacky areas with naphtha - available from any good paint store. This will help in drying. Brush it on, let it dry. Forced air in a controlled environment wouldn't hurt.

You may be able to sand the blush out - use 400 grit wet/dry lubricated with water and go slow.

Good luck and let me know how goes the battle...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: