Save a Shed?

Old 08-01-02, 09:07 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Save a Shed?

HI all. question for all the experienced people out there.... I have a shed on my property (less than 10 yrs old) that was sheathed with "flakeboard" which was then painted. Of course, this didn't work very well so we want to re-side it properly. The general idea is to create a garden shed with 1 by 8 pine siding (to be painted), a nice plank door with old style steel strap hinges, a double window and a shake shingle roof so that it'll better match the old stone farmhouse we live in.

I started to examine the structure in preparation of this project and it appears to be sagging in one corner. Further investigation seemms to indicate that the thing was just set directly on the ground when it was built. (At least the previous owner was consistent when he built stuff - crappy and inept).

The shed is about 12 by 8, with stick frame construction, and used prefab roof trusses. As it is, even after the leveling process, the shed will need the roof and window created and the doorway reworked to accomplish our goals.

Is it worth the trouble to try to jack it up and place a decent footer under it? I was thinking about just creating a footer out of railroad ties or pressure treated lumber, or maybe using those cardboard tubes to make 3 concrete columns on each of the long sides for the frame to rest on (set the thing on piers like the buildings at the beach).

OR should I just un-build it and build a new one in it's place using as much material from this one as possible?

Would it be quicker and easier to just build fresh?

Thanks.

Old 08-01-02, 08:52 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It's difficult to say without seeing the shed, but you can build a nice 8x12 using 'house type' construction for probably less than you're going to spend to repair that one, which will still be a poorly built shed at it's heart when you're done

Old 08-02-02, 12:24 AM
Dezri
Visiting Guest
I agree with Pendragon. Without a foundation, even useing treated material, you will still have nothing but a poorly built building. Start by removing it and pouring a proper base. You can then recycle as much of the old one that might be of value to save a little on the cost of materials.
Doing it right the first time will save you from doing it again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: